Friday 29 April 2011

和风豆腐戚风蛋糕

Another milestone along my baking trail...


Since the start of the year, I have began to re-tracked my baking trail. So far I have been going back to the basics...making muffins and simple banana cakes. This time, I have taken on the challenge to bake another chiffon cake after my earlier matcha chiffon cake turn out really well. The preparation method is almost similar...the only 'challenge' is to change my mindset about using unfamiliar ingredients for baking.

The unique ingredient used in this chiffon cake recipe is silken tofu or soft soya bean curd. I am really curious how tofu will taste like in a cake...and I wonder how the texture of the cake will turn out? will it going to be light and airy? and will my kitchen be smelling of tofu when the cake is baking in the oven?


I took the opportunity to bake this cake when I was planning to cook soondubu (a Korean tofu soup/stew dish)...I could use the left over tofu for the soondubu...we certainly didn't mine having extra tofu in our soup. It was already night time when I finally had time to unmold the cake. So pardon me with the two lousy images above...my 老古董 (antique) camera can't seems to focus well under poor lighting conditions.


The cake was easily done...with only 5 ingredients...tofu, sugar, eggs, flour and oil. The only problem I had, as usual, was combining the egg whites with the yolk batter. I have deflated the whites a little, and the eggs I used were only medium sized ones...the finished batter was only able to fill up the pan to  about 70%. As a result of the poor mixing, my heart sank together with the cake when the baking time was almost up. It shrank further upon cooling...and so my tofu cake was a little katek (short).


There were many holes too...thanks again to my poor mixing...or maybe I should blame the tofu? The yolk batter was thick and a little grainy. Except the oil, no water is used in this recipe...it rely solely on the water content in the tofu. That is also why it is not necessary to drain the tofu before using.



Here are the answers to my questions above:

1. I can't taste tofu in this cake, not even smell it. It is just like a plain cake...luckily it is sweet and if not for the eggs, it will be like eating a slice of dish sponge?
2. The texture of the cake is good though...light and airy...it could have been better if I have done a better job at folding the whites and yolks.
3. There is definitely no trace of tofu baking in the oven. The aroma was similar to a sponge cake. I don't know why...but I kept expecting to smell tau huay 豆花 ( a local soya bean curd dessert). Maybe I should replace the silken tofu with tau huay?

I think the next time I were to make this, I will certainly add some flavourings to enhance the taste. Even though the cake has got nothing to cry out loud for, it was certainly a good experience for me. At least I am now more open to trying out different ingredients and not having to stick to the usual bananas or chocolate chips ;)

and in case you ask...my first attempt at cooking soondubu was far from good. The soup was a little blend and taste diluted...despite having added shrimps, sotong and clams. My kids enjoyed the dish though...they were slurping away and the three of us could finish the whole pot. Wait till they have tasted the real thing...I am sure they are gonna be very disappointed with mummy's lousy cooking skills (^^''')



Tofu Chiffon Cake

Ingredients:
(for 7" tube pan)

120g silken tofu
20g caster sugar
3 egg yolks (use large eggs)
40ml vegetable oil
80g cake flour

4 egg whites (use large eggs)
50g caster sugar


Method:
  1. Sieve flour and set aside.
  2. Place silken tofu in a mixing bowl. With a manual hand whisk, mix the tofu and add in the sugar. Whisk to combine.
  3. Add in egg yolks, whisk to combine. Add in vegetable oil gradually, stir to combine. Sieve over the flour and whisk till the flour is fully incorporated. Do not over mix. Set aside.
  4. In a clean, dry mixing bowl, beat egg whites with a handheld electric mixer on low speed until mixture becomes frothy and foamy.  Add half of the sugar amount and turn to high speed and beat the mixture. Continue to add in the remaining sugar and beat until the egg whites reaches the soft peak stage.The soft peak stage is reached when the peaks of the whites curl over and droop slightly. The egg whites should appear smooth and glossy. (Do not over beat the whites still stiff, it is better to beat the whites still soft peaks for easy folding with the yolk batter.)
  5. Add the beaten egg white into the egg yolk batter in 3 separate additions, each time folding gently with a spatula until just blended.
  6. Pour batter into a 17cm tube pan (do not grease the pan). Tap the pan lightly on a table top to get rid of any trapped air bubbles in the batter.
  7. Bake in pre-heated oven at 180 degC for 30 mins, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean, when lightly pressed the cake will spring back. Invert the pan immediately and let cool completely before unmould. To remove the cake from the pan, run a thin-bladed knife around the inside of the pan and the center core. Release the cake and run the knife along the base of the pan to remove the cake.

Recipe source: adapted from 好吃戚风蛋糕轻松上手, 福田淳子

17 comments:

Alina---Explora Cuisine said...

Very interesting recipe, I've never heard of a tofu cake before :) it looks beautiful!

KWF said...

HHB, I never tried a Tofu Chiffon. But recently I did a Tofu Mango No-bake cake and I like it. Great for those with a "not so sweet tooth". See pic here.

Agnes CF Lee said...

never heard of using taufu in the cake recipe, but your chiffon cake looks real good!

MH said...

Wow! Your chiffon cake ALWAYS look so perfectly unmould! :) Well Done! Talking about chiffon cake, I haven't baked one for a long long time... And oh yes, want to thank you for your recipe on "Sloppy Joe". It was and instant hit! Ever since then, my younger kid has been pestering me when I'm going to make it again... :D Thank you!

happy-bowl said...

hi HHB have u ever used soy cream in place of regular cream..? i saw an episode on food network where they used soy cream which is said to be light, airy in texture and somewhat healthy..any help would be appreciated from readers as well..

Khadija El Mary said...

Never heard of Tofu Cake! Sounds original and delicious. I think the holes are due to over-mixing, but I'm not sure. Have a great day,
Cheers
Mamatkamal

Aimei said...

I have always wanted to bake this but have not done. It looks healthy and like a beauty food! Hehe.. I'll try next time when free since you have success with it.

Coraine said...

Hey HHB! =) I've been reading your blog since 2 years ago..Seldom leave any comments here.
Now, I must say that your chiffon cakes are always standing tall ! Envy!!!!

PiggyMummy said...

A very interesting cake with Tofu! I have never try baking a chiffon cake, and after seeing your lovely chiffon cakes, I think I should try to bake one =)

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Looks like we are all bitten by the Chiffon bug. This is an interesting recipe. Though I am a little worried about attempting it as the measurements for the eggs are a little dubious... I will try to search a little more and let you know if I find something more precise.

createwithmom said...

soft delicious spongy cake

Happy Homebaker said...

MH,glad to hear that your kids like the sloppy joe :)

happy-bowl, I'm sorry, I have not heard of soy cream...is it available in the local supermarts?

Shirley, if you use large eggs (60g without shell) then it should be ok. I usually use 55g eggs (with shell).

thecoffeesnob said...

I've never seen tofu used in a chiffon cake- how interesting and clever!

And I'm pretty sure your kids are still gonna love your version of soondubu even after they've had the authentic version a million times :)

Jen said...

Ooo, I'm intrigued!

Matthew Liu said...

Hey I just tried this recipe. Really light and airy, but I only realised I used a 8" tin instead of a 7" one, so it wasn't as thick and high as yours. Thanks for the recipe!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi HHB.! I just tried doing the tofu chiffon cake but it turned out that the top and the sides of it were so burnt. Very dark brown in colour. Does it always appear like that? Please help! =)

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi, it could be due to your oven temp, and the type of oven your are using, as every oven behaves differently, you may bake at a lower temperature and use an oven thermometer to ensure the temp is accurate.