Thursday, 22 September 2011

pretty little things

The mooncake festival is long gone, but I am still having fun making mooncakes (^^)


This time, instead of using the mooncake moulds, I shaped them into little bunnies. They are wrapped with low sugar white lotus paste which I bought from Kwong Cheong Thye. It is not as oily and certainly not so sweet compared to those that I got from other baking supply shops.


I know, these aren't pretty little things, but they do look adorable in a funny sort of way.  Actually, this little piggy reminds me very much of my elder son...my younger boy shares the exact sentiment. When he first saw it, he exclaimed, "Oooh! 哥哥!", lol! My elder child displays this similar blur look most of the time. Don't worry, he won't get upset if he ever reads this, he will simply laugh it off ;)


 
Even though I didn't apply egg wash over the mooncake I took them out after 10mins of baking and left them to cool for 15mins before baking them again. I wonder this step is still necessary? Anyway,  I'm submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #11: Mid-Autumn Treats (Sept 2011) which I am hosting :)




Bunnies and Piggies Mooncakes

Ingredients:
(makes 10)

for dough:
125g plain flour
85g golden syrup (I used Abram Lyle's Golden Syrup with maple flavor)
1/2 teaspoon alkaline water
25g peanut oil (I replaced with canola oil)

for filling:
250g white lotus paste



Method:
  1. Divide the filling into 25g portions and shape into balls. Set aside.
  2. Place golden syrup in a bowl. Add in alkaline water, stir to combine. Add in oil, mix well.
  3. Place plain flour in a mixing bowl, make a well in the centre. Add in the above mixture. Mix with a spatula to form a soft dough. Gently knead the dough till smooth (takes 1~2 mins). Shape it into a smooth round dough. Wrap with cling wrap and leave in fridge to rest for at least 2 hours or over night. This step is known as 醒面.
  4. Dust work surface with some flour. Give the dough a few light kneading to smooth it.
  5. Divide dough into 20g pieces. Shape each dough into a ball. Roll each dough over some flour. Dust hand with flour and flatten each dough into a small disc (about 5cm in diameter). Wrap it around the filling and shape it into a ball. (always dust hand with some flour to avoid the dough from sticking).
  6. For bunny mooncake: take two small pieces of dough to form bunny ears, place on the wrapped dough, make an indent on each ear with a spatula. Make the eyes by poking with the tip of a chopstick (use one that comes with pointed ends) or a satay stick. Stick a small round dough at the back as tail. For piggy mooncake: take small pieces of dough to form ears and nose. Make nostrils by poking with a toothpick. Use black sesame for the eyes. Roll a small piece of dough between fingers to form a strip, form into a "S" shape and stick to the back as tail.
  7. Place mooncake on a baking tray line with parchment paper. Bake at preheated oven at 180degC for 10mins. Remove from oven and leave to cool for 15mins. Return to oven and continue to bake for another 12~15mins until golden brown (since all oven works differently, do check after 10mins, and subsequently every other 2 mins to make sure the mooncakes are not over browned).
  8. Leave mooncake to cool completely and store in air tight containers. Wait for 2 ~ 3 days for the mooncakes to 回油 (for the skin to soften) before serving.
Recipe source: mooncake pastry adapted from Mooncake Sonata by Alan Ooi

49 comments:

  1. They are so cute!!! I can't bear to eat anyone of them.

    Btw, my son also got a kind of blur look most of the time. keke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are super adorable cutie mooncakes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love both charactors...very cutie! I think could be send as gift when pay visit to someone even if it is not mid-autumn festival,right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh! These are so cute!! I love their tiny eyes :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cute! Do they have a very sweet taste?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, your bunny & pig look soooo cute. If you are free, do bring them over to my Blog coz I'm hosting a "house warming party" today! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there!! i think these look soooooo cute!!! too cute to eat ^^ I really enjoy reading your blog :)
    Just a question.. is alkaline water the same as soda water? and do you think it would work if you added honey instead of golden syrup? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tray, I don't think alkaline water is same as soda water. It is possible to use honey instead, but I am not sure whether the taste and texture of the mooncake will be different. Sorry for my lack of knowledge and experience in this area.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are adorable how cute are the pigs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to make some for my nephew's birthday they are fab.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are so cute and adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow... must have taken you a lot of time and effort to shape them :) It's so cute. I love both designs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Way to go ! You sure have a way with these delicate things.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is soo cute and adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really adorable., I'm sure it will be a hit if you were to bake these for sale. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. How cute! You are so good with the mooncakes! Everything looks so perfect! I am thoroughly enjoying your blog. And btw, thanks for allowing my weird entry into aspiring bakers #11.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So adorable rabbit, too cute to be eaten! Can't believe that this is the first time you are baking mooncake. All baked mooncake looks so pro, from your previous bake till these cuties. Mine looks so horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So cute! I like those bunnies especially! Btw, you might want to use mini choc chips for the pig's eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. There are wonderful! I can't wait to try making them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooooh ... those little bunnies are just so cute! Especially those ears!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! Cute! Loving those bunnies ;)
    <3 Dee

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Happy Homebaker!I like your creative recipes.
    I have a question regarding this recipe. How did you shape the mooncakes to have the shape of a rabbit? Hope you will reply soon. Thanks!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jojo, I have explained it under step 6. Hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Happy Homebaker, your blog is so awesome :)
    If you don't mind, what is alkaline water?
    What is the function in this recipe?
    What happen if I don't use alkaline water when I make this recipe?
    Thanks in advance, best regards Metta

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Metta,

    The alkaline water or lye water helps to make the dough more stretchable, and allows the mooncakes to brown nicely upon baking. However, just a small amount is needed, if used more than recommended, it will give the mooncake a very dark colour. I believe the texture of the mooncake skin will be affected if alkaline water is omitted.

    ReplyDelete
  27. HI HI do you think i can put in salted egg yolk in the center? Would one whole egg yolk be too much?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi RT, I am sorry I have not tried wrapping mooncakes with egg yolks as such I am not able to comment on this...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello Happy Homebaker, i am just wondering how long can these bunnys and piggys stay fresh. can we keep them for more than one week? do we need to refrigerate it or can we put them outside on the table?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi M, I stored them in air tight container under room temperature, they were gone within a few days...I would keep them in the fridge for anything longer than 5 days, just to play safe.

    ReplyDelete
  31. where can I find alkaline water? Is there any substitute for it?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Gracia, you can get alkaline water from baking supply shop such as phoon huat. I do not know whether there is a substitue for it.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi,

    I tried baking it and the bottom becomes 'cao da' and hard. Why is it so? Is it overbake or shd I move my tray higher?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Was the top burnt as well? or still pale? if it was burnt on top, then your oven could be on the hot side, is it a convection oven, fan assist? if yes, u may want to bake at lower temp, since every oven works differently, you will have to experiment to find out how yours behave. If the top is still pale, then could it be that the heating element is located at the bottom of the oven? If yes, you may place it at a higher rack, or maybe use a double trays? and maybe it could also be the type of tray you are using? If it is those non-stick/black ones, bakes tend to brown faster with this type of tray.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Happy Homebaker,

    Thanks for your advise. gonna try baking soon! (:

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks for sharing your recipe. As this was my first attempt, I couldn't get it right the first two times. The bunnies and piggies finally turned out decent the third time. I even attempted to add salted eggs and they tasted yums :) I have since baked more than 100 of these cuties. :). Thanks once again!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Gracia, I like salted eggs, but my folks don't...wow, making 100s of them must be very tiring! Happy Mid-Autumn Festival to you and your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. hi, they look so cute. One question can we used yeast for the dough to proof

    ReplyDelete
  39. Happy Homebaker,though Mid-Autumn Festival just gone, but i find your blog and can't wait to make these little cuties. It really worked out good taste yummy. Tghanks for your sharing and now i can share these cuties with my friends and staffs. Taje care and thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi happy home baker! I was going to try this recipe but I couldn't find any white lotus paste. I bought some lotus root, but I found out later that lotus paste was actually made out of lotus seeds. Do you think I can make the paste from lotus root instead? I have heard of lotus root butter before, but I'm not sure if its okay for a mooncake filling.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi, I dont think it is possible to make lotus paste with lotus roots. The result will be very different...

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi where do you buy Abram Lyle's Golden Syrup

    -Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi Andrew, I bought it from Phoon Huat.

    ReplyDelete