Saturday 21 January 2012

Little effort yields great result

On my very first trip to the library once we came back from our trip, I zoomed in for books that are on Chinese New Year cookies or traditional asian type of cookies. I only managed to get hold of two books...and after going through the books back and forth, back and forth a few times, I could only settle on one single recipe...Cranberry Cornflakes Cookies, 蔓越莓酥饼. No, it is not the popular recipe among Chinese bloggers which originates from the book 孟老师的100道手工饼干. Rather, it is a book published by a Malaysian author, with the title,做小饼赚大钱.


Translated as Little Cookies Earn Big $, it is no wonder that the recipe yields so many cookies in just one batch. I got 77pcs of cookies out of half a block of butter. They are also very simple to put together, all you need is a mixing bowl and a manual whisk (I hardly use my old-enough-to-go-to-the-museum handheld electric whisk, as I find washing the paddles free of any oil/fat a taunting task!).

Making these cookies was really an uneventful affair, the steps are so straight forward that anyone can make them without batting an eyelid. The only highlight was, when I poured the crushed corn flakes into the mixing bowl, I was hit right in the face with this very very nice aroma. I am never a fan of cereals...I didn't grow up having a bowl of cereals with milk for breakfast. Believe it or not, I only got to taste my first bowl of cornflakes with milk in a business hotel when I first started travelling for work. This is the first time I baked something using corn flakes. I was pleasantly surprised that crushed cornflakes gives off such a nice fragrant...pardon my lousy expressions I can't describe it in words...but I thought there was even a hint of 'milky' aroma in the air. I couldn't help but to check the cereal box once I got everything done. I have never known that cornflakes are made with cornmeals! What can I say? But never a day has gone by without me learning something new!


Of course I doubt you will be able to earn big money if you were to sell them...what matters most is, a little effort could yield such great result. These little morsels have got a delicious buttery flavour...the cornflakes gives a nice crunch, and the cranberries provides a very nice sweet, tangy taste. Trust me, you won't be able to stop at just one. The only downside of this recipe is that it requires two egg yolks...but I have no problem with extra whites since I can save them for chiffon cakes. This is certainly going into my Chinese New Year cookies list, and I would make them anytime of the year :)



Cranberry Cornflakes Cookies

Ingredients:
(makes 77~80 pcs)

120g Unsalted butter, cut into cubes, soften at room temperature
pinch of salt
50g icing sugar
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
135g plain flour
30g corn flour
100g plain corn flakes, coarsely crushed
80g dried cranberries, cut into smaller pieces

Method:
  1. Place corn flakes in a plastic bag. Crush them with your fingers into smaller pieces, do not crush too finely. Set aside.
  2. Cut dried cranberries into smaller pieces (I used a kitchen scissor). Set aside.
  3. Place unsalted butter, salt in a mixing bowl. Sift over the icing sugar (do not skip this step, this is to remove any lumps in the icing sugar). With a manual whisk or a wooden spoon (or an electric whisk), beat the butter, salt and icing sugar till the mixture turns pale.
  4. Whisk as you dribble in the egg yolks, whisk till combine.
  5. Sift over plain flour and corn flour. With a spatula, fold the mixture until the flour is incorporated.
  6. Add in cornflakes and dried cranberries. Mix with spatula (or use hand) till just combined.
  7. Arrange mini paper liners, evenly spaced, on a baking tray.
  8. Measure 7g doughs and place each into a mini paper liner. (Note: it is not necessary to shape the dough into a smooth round ball, just roughly gather it into a lump. These cookies can be baked without using paper liners, arrange them evenly spaced on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. They don't expand much upon baking.)
  9. Bake in preheated oven at 140degC for about 25 minutes until lightly golden. (Note: all ovens behave differently, do keep a close watch near 20mins of baking time to prevent the cookies from over browning. Turn the tray around half way, when necessary.)
  10. Remove from oven and transfer to a cooling rack, leave to cool completely before storing in air tight containers. (Note: when the cookies are still warm, the cornflakes may taste a little chewy/soft, but it will turn crispy upon cooling.)
Recipe Source: Little Cookies Earn Big $

18 comments:

Sherleen.T said...

very nice colors cookies...:)
Happy new year to you and your family!

izahdaut said...

happy cny to u n ur family..
crunchy cookies rite

Weber Grill Recipes said...

Sounds delicious! I always love cookie & this is awesome!

Angel @ Cook.Bake.Love said...

Happy dragon year!

I was thinking cornflakes and cranberry combination this afternoon and now u posted this, so coincidence.

Suebanna said...

looks interesting. LOL cornflakes arent very traditional though are they?

Anonymous said...

Happy chinese new year! I love all the CNY cookies that there are! Your's look delish!

happy-bowl said...

They look picture perfect

Anonymous said...

These cookies look delicious :)

Daphne said...

These cookies look so nice, I love the cranberry with cornflakes combination. Would love to try this out soon XD

Small Small Baker said...

Looks like a nice recipe to try. Wish you and your family a Happy Dragon Year! :)

Happy Flour said...

Wishing you and your family 'A Happy & Healthy Dragon Year'! (^_^)

The Experimental Cook said...

I have been wanting to 'get rid' of my boring corn flakes and here it is, tried and tested recipe. I'll wait for the new year madness to go away and do this , for the pure enjoyment of it!

Roselind said...

Hi it is me roselind again. :D I just saw this recipe and most likely change to bake this instead of oatmeal cookies. :D really thankful for the recipe here. :):)

Anonymous said...

Hi Happy Homebaker,

Thank you for the delicious recipe. Cranberry & Cornflakes Cookies - An all time favorite. Just wondering if I can use the entire block of butter i.e. 250g if I double all the other ingredients to give it a more buttery taste?

Happy Homebaker said...

hi, I am not sure whether it will affect the result as I have not tried doubling the portion.

Anonymous said...

Hi, just to share that I bake the cookies with double portion. The result is great. But note that I used 240g of butter. Thanks HHB for this great recipe.
JJMUM

Miss B @ Everybody Eats Well in Flanders said...

Hi HHB,
I baked these cookies last week and they were very good, thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

haha, thank you for your share, I only buy two cooking books- all from 孟老师